Thursday, November 1, 2007

Cook shrugs off Fletcher storm


England batsman Alastair Cook insists he is not interested in any of the sensational revelations in former head coach Duncan Fletcher's new book.Fletcher, who was succeeded by Peter Moores in May, claimed in 'Behind the Shades', which has been serialised by a national newspaper, that Andrew Flintoff had once been too drunk to take part in a fielding session during last winter's disastrous tour of Australia.The then-skipper went on to embark on another alcohol-fuelled escapade during the World Cup in the Caribbean - news of which did immediately reach the public domain - and Fletcher used his book to pronounce himself 'let down' by the all-rounder.But Cook insisted the only headlines he wanted to read about Flintoff were ones announcing his comeback from the ankle injury that has forced him to miss the forthcoming tour of Sri Lanka."I haven't read it but obviously I have heard about it. To be honest, I'm really not that interested in Duncan Fletcher's book. It is just a book isn't it? We are not bothered about what people are writing," he told PA Sport."What is in the book is in the past and we have moved on. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but personally I am not bothered what he has written now because we are under Peter Moores."

"It doesn't affect the squad as a whole and we are more worried about how we are going to play against Sri Lanka in two weeks' time."Of the Australian drinking allegations, he added: "I wasn't there at the time because I wasn't in that one-day series so it is hard for me to comment when I don't know the facts.""All I know is when I was playing under Freddie for England, he was my leader. He gave everything for England and I just wish him successful rehab on that ankle.""It's his third time, which must be tough, but we hope he gets back as soon as possible because a fully-fit, firing Freddie Flintoff is what we need for English cricket."Cook was speaking at an off-road demonstration event held by Volkswagen, who have supplied England players with 4x4 Toureg models.Cook's Essex team-mate Ravi Bopara, also part of the England touring party having made his mark in one-day internationals and Twenty20 fixtures, crashed one of the cars on farmland at Longfield near the famous Brands Hatch motor racing circuit in Kent.The 22-year-old suffered minor injuries to his right arm after the vehicle he was driving flipped over while turning, with broken glass then having to be removed from a wound on his wrist.

An air ambulance was mobilised at one point but it was quickly established that Bopara did not require hospital treatment."I'm fine. I wouldn't even call it a cut. It's more of a graze - I usually get worse cuts and bruises diving around the outfield," he said."I'm not sure how it happened. We were burning it down a hill and hit a bump at the end. But they are such good cars we hardly felt a thing."

.

No comments: